Monday, August 23, 2021

Adding fractions with different denominators

 Today I watched a video from Khan Academy about adding fractions with different denominators.

The questions I did were:

9/10 + 1/6 = 1 1/15

1/2 + 11/12 = 11 5/12

3/4 + 1/5 = 19/20

The video talked about how you took the 2 fractions you were adding and found the highest common multiple of the two denominators- in 9/10 + 1/6 it was 30. Then to the 1 in 1/6, you did to the 1 what you did to the 6 to get to 30, which was multiply it by 5. It became 5/30. Then I did the same to the 9/10, and the question got changed to 27/30 + 5/30 = 32/30. Then you half it to simplify it, becoming 16/15. Since it's an improper fraction I made it 1 and 1/15.

This was not very interesting because I already knew how to do it, but it was interesting to see what questions I was given.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Miro,
    Sorry to hear it hasn't added to your learning. Did you work on the extension activity with the Cant-a-maths questions? I am pleased you chose this activity though, as it backs up on what we were doing in class last week. Next time could you post a video explaining the process?

    Mrs G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs G for the feedback. Yes, I did some of the Cantamaths questions but then I decided to work on my speech!
      If we are still in lockdown next week and I get more work like this, then I will try to make a video.

      Miro G

      Delete
  2. Well done Miro, you show confidence and clarity when explaining your task and your response to it. Like Mrs G says, keep finding ways to extend your learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Oakley! I like that you think I am confident.

      Miro G

      Delete