Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Dixon House Writing

 

Dixon House Visit


On Tuesday the 25th of May, my class and I took a bus to Dixon house, an old people’s home. We went there because it was Get Caught Reading month, and the Tai Poutini Polytechnic decided it would be a great idea for us to go and talk to the older people at Dixon House. Before we left at 1pm, we got to pick a book from the school library. I had brought a book from home that I thought would be good, and this one was called the Velveteen Rabbit. It is a book about a toy rabbit made of velveteen, and filled with sawdust, that wants to become a real rabbit.


When we got to Dixon House, we were invited inside by the people from the polytech and we got to go up to someone and introduce ourselves. I didn’t really get to know the lady I walked up to because the book I chose was so long that it took the whole 40 minutes that we were there to read! I thought she really liked it since she made comments on how cute she thought the book was. I couldn’t really remember the lady’s name because I was so tired from reading for so long!

After I had finished reading the book, I said goodbye to the lady and went up to grab some afternoon tea. The food was cooked up by the polytech students for us and it was delicious. We also got a chocolate bar each before we left!


The staff and the residents of Dixon House said that they really liked having us there to read and talk to them, and our teacher was very proud of us.

Going there made me feel like I was doing something enjoyable for someone else. I also enjoyed listening to the lady’s comments about how she liked the book. Although, after that I learnt that I probably shouldn’t pick such a long book if I do it again!


























No comments:

Post a Comment